Jersey Shore Personal Injury and Employment Specialists

Is there technology to prevent distracted driving?

On Behalf of | Jul 14, 2021 | Car Accidents |

Distracted driving is on the rise in New Jersey, and it’s not only because of cellphones but also other passengers, built-in features and even the car radio. When you perform actions every day, it can be hard to not get distracted or let your mind wander.

However, distracted driving is deadly, costing thousands of lives each day. While anything can cause a driver to become distracted, one of the most common causes of distracted driving is still cell phones.

Technology companies are adapting, though, and trying to tackle distracted driving at the source. With this new technology, it will be harder to be distracted by your cell phone or other electronic devices while driving.

Some examples of the new technology that’s available

Sometimes, drivers naturally put their phones in their pockets or out of sight when they’re driving. This can be extremely hard to do for drivers that depend on their cellphones as a form of navigation or have limited space in their cars.

As a result, cellphone companies are creating technology that will enable the cellphone to detect if you’re driving. For example, AT&T DriveMode blocks text alerts and nonessential notifications when it detects the car going above 15 miles per hour.

What are some car safety features?

In addition, there are some advanced features being installed in new cars to prevent distracted driving. This technology isn’t available in older cars but may become standard down the line.

This distracted technology feature impacts several different areas of your car. Some cars will brake automatically if it senses a potential collision before the driver does. Other cars will alert the driver if he or she starts to drift out of his or her lane.

With so many ways to prevent distracted driving, there’s really no excuse for the behavior. If you have been injured or gotten into a car accident due to distracted driving, reach out to a lawyer.