As the air gets colder and the winter season right around the corner it’s important to begin preparing for new road conditions. You probably know the typical winter driving safety tips: drive slowly, increase following distance, be careful of black ice etc., but getting ready for the cold weather and preparing your vehicle the right way is just as important. Driving in the snow and cold temperatures can be dangerous but following these tips for getting ready can help save you in an emergency.
Getting your vehicle ready to drive in the winter conditions is crucial for safety. Taking the right steps can help you prevent an accident or save you if you get into a dangerous situation on the road. Here are a few things you can do to prepare yourself and your car for the coming season:
- Keep a set of warm clothes in the car
- Gather a cold-weather equipment pack (include a scraper, flashlight, blanket, medications etc.)
- Check your tires for tread and air pressure
- Make sure you have at least half a tank of gas in your car all the time
- Remember to check the weather, especially before long trips
- Keep your cell phone charged, or invest in a car cell phone charge
- Consider having your vehicle safety checked by a professional or at least perform a full safety check yourself
Preparing your car for the cold weather can help you avoid crashes and other hazards and taking the right steps to get ready can help you get through any potentially dangerous situations.